INTENDED PARENTS CONSULTATION
Having personally experienced infertility, Ellen truly understands the ultimate, priceless joy parents’ feel, holding their child in their arms for the first time. Her goal is to make this journey as smooth as possible for all.
In today’s world, families are created in many ways. For many, the process means an inclusion of outsiders, actively assisting intended parents to achieve their dream. For some, this means traveling to Southern California, and trusting those from a different country and culture to assist them.
ASRM has specific guidelines for Intended Parents using third party assistance (sperm donor, egg donor, surrogate-gestational carrier and donated embryos).
Guidelines include participating in a session with a qualified mental health professional, like Ellen, who has experience working with those struggling with fertility and/or needing third party assisted reproduction procedures.
After the Intended Parents sign the appropriate consent forms, the referring Agency and Physician receive a summary of the session and any recommendations.
Ellen approaches her meetings with all participants with the premise that they are consenting adults and whatever the treatment and/or role in the process, it is ultimately each individual’s or couple’s decision to move forward.
Intended Parents travel to Ellen’s office in Orange County, California for a face-to-face meeting. If this is not possible, a videoconference is arranged.
- Intended Parents using a gestational carrier (surrogate)
- Intended Parents who are sperm or egg donor recipients using anonymous or identified donors
- Intended Parents using Known Donor and/or Surrogate
- Embryo donation cycles
- A brief review of their specific infertility history
- Brief histories of each individual and the relationship, if appropriate
- Comfort with the recommended treatment
- Coping and stress reduction strategies
- Impact of the treatment on relationships
- Disclosure considerations
On-going Counseling Support and Consultations
Caring for the emotional needs for all involved in this process is not a single, isolated, one time occurrence.
Ellen is there for you from the initial meetings and interviews, through conception, pregnancy, childbirth and post partum.
Supportive sessions related to infertility may include:
- Relationship issues (including marriage counseling)
- Individual counseling
- Coping with families and friends during infertility
- Stress management
- Decision making
- Grief counseling